About Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation®
Here at True Dentistry, Las Vegas cosmetic dentist Dr. Joseph Willardsen, utilizes some of the latest techniques to help patients affected by gum recession. Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation™ is one of the most advanced options available, and it does not require gum surgery or long recovery times.
Over time, the gums can pull back or recede to show the roots of your teeth, making them more susceptible to decay since they are not protected by enamel. The extra space created around your teeth from recessed gums can also allow bacteria to accumulate and develop into gum disease. Ultimately, if not given proper treatment, the tissue and bone structure surrounding your teeth can be seriously harmed and even cause your teeth to fall out. Due to these severe consequences, if you see signs of gum recession, you should seek treatment as soon as possible.
The Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® treatment, or Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™), is a minimally-invasive way to restore receding gums. The technique was created and patented by the renowned cosmetic dentist Dr. John Chao. During the PST™ procedure, our dentist here at True Dentistry creates a small hole in the affected gum tissue, which is then gently loosened from the bone. The gum tissue is now able to be redraped over the teeth and shifted to a healthier position. The Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® procedure is often virtually painless and can provide a relatively fast way to treat gum recession.
Alternative to Gum Grafting Surgery
This treatment can be a refreshing alternative to gum grafts, which is the traditional method for improving receding or shrunken gums. To perform a gum graft, dentists cut and remove tissue from the roof of the patient’s mouth or from surrounding gum tissue. Then, the dentist stitches the extra tissue to the affected gum tissue in order to cover the tooth’s unprotected roots. Gum graft surgery can be very uncomfortable and each tooth can take hours. Patients normally need a couple of weeks to recoup from this surgery.
Dr. Willardsen immediately recognized how the Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® technique could benefit our patients and learned the intricacies of the procedure from Dr. Chao himself during an intensive training course. Now, True Dentistry is happy to offer this amazing treatment option for patients suffering from gum recession.
Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation ® Media Coverage
See for yourself how this innovative procedure is changing the landscape of available treatment options for receding gums in the videos below:
Candidates for Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation®
Gum recession gradually happens over time and usually goes unnoticed by most people. As a result, gum recession is a common dental issue we see at True Dentistry. Patients who have receding gums are often good candidates for Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® treatment; however, those currently suffering from gum disease will need that treated first. Our dentist will talk with you about options to get your gums as healthy as possible before treatment with the Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® technique.
Causes of Gum Recession
The following factors can contribute to gum recession:
- Lackluster dental care – Plaque can develop if you don’t regularly brush or floss your teeth. Eventually plaque hardens into calculus or tartar, a substance that can cause harm to your teeth and gums and lead to gum recession.
- Misaligned teeth – Uneven teeth can cause extra stress on your gums, making them susceptible to recession.
- Vigorous tooth brushing – If you press down too aggressively when you brush your teeth, it can wear off your teeth’s enamel and affect the health of the gums.
- Periodontal disease – Gum disease can be a major cause of gum recession due to bacterial infections.
- Tobacco use – Smoking and other tobacco use can cause plaque to form on your teeth.
- Lip or tongue jewelry – Lip or tongue jewelry can lead to chafed, recessive gums.
- Teeth grinding – Grinding your teeth can put too much force or pressure on your teeth and gums.
Contact True Dentistry
If you think you may have receding gums, please contact True Dentistry today. Dr. Willardsen can determine if you are a potential candidate for the advanced Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation® treatment.